Thursday, February 10, 2011

On Being Strong...

Valerie is moving around and kicking as i type this!  Love it!  She has made it to week 23.  Go baby go!  I pray that i have many more weeks with her.  We met with my doctor on Monday.  It went well, especially since we got to hear her heartbeat.  As hard as i tried not to, I cried there.  All the nurses know, and I even think the receptionists know.  They knew my name before I even signed in, and that is not usual.  My nurse said she thinks about us and prays for us every night.  Very sweet of her.  On Tuesday we met with the heart doctor at St. V's.  He gave us some hope.  He said after she is born, she will not be whisked away for heart surgery.  He said usually babies can go a few months or more without any surgeries.  So we will have some time once she is born to determine if that is the route we want to go.  But on the other hand, he said he had only done heart surgery on 1 trisomy 13 baby in like the last 10 years.  So it is basically up to us if we get to that point. 

Everyone tells me how strong I am (thank you to everyone who does), but the truth is--I have to be.  I have no choice.  If you would find yourself in the same position, you would know how true this is.  All we can do is enjoy our time with our little Valerie and put complete faith in God.  We have to trust that this is ok and that this is all happening for a reason.  It is hard, believe me, so hard sometimes.  On bad days, all I can think of is: Why us??  Why can't our baby live?  Why are we 1 in 10,000 families that this happens to?  Why isn't she healthy? and of course.....IT'S NOT FAIR!  Luckily, I have more good days than bad.  Also, we have a 2 year old to raise!  We can't act like our lives are over, because they aren't!  We have to be positive for Lilly and for Valerie. 




Pictures:  Lilly had a great time at her grandparents house over the weekend!!  We watched our awesome Packers and played in the snow!

1 comment:

Sara said...

karie, we are always praying for you guys. wish i could be there for you more. valerie is so lucky to have your love.