Sunday, March 1, 2009

Song For a Fifth Child

My big girl...
My teeny tiny baby...

I read this poem...and I love it. (Below) It completely describes what my life is like right now. I feel torn between wanting to get things done (cleaning, cooking, organizing, etc...) and spending all of my free time with Lilly. I have let things become pretty messy and cluttered because I would rather spend all of my time with my baby. I think this is way more important than keeping a clean house and who cares if we order Chinese food for dinner again?? :-) I am enjoying watching Lilly grow and play every day and time is going by way too fast. I don't want to miss a single second of her life. Sometimes at night, even though I am so ready for a baby break, I don't want to put her to bed because I miss her. I swear I look at her on the monitor (it is a cool video one) constantly. Anyway...this poem really just makes me feel not so bad about abandoning my house and my poor dog who hasn't had a bath in about a month (or more). Thank goodness for groomers (tomorrow, yay!...he is stinky...) So I think right now I am just going to focus on being a good mom and spending as much time with Lilly as I can....I know I am sappy, but I love my little girl more than anything. Sorry Tucker (our dog...) :-)





Song for a Fifth Child
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton
Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth, Empty the dustpan, poison the moth, Hang out the washing and butter the bread, Sew on a button and make up a bed. Where is the mother whose house is so shocking? She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.



Oh, I’ve grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue.Dishes are waiting and bills are past due (Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo). The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew. And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo. But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo. Look! Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?



The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow. So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

you have it Karie! They grow way to fast & I am here to say that the house work will ALWAYS be there! you don't want to miss a thing. hold her, play with her and let the house wait a little while. one day it will be clean again....like in 18 years! love, britt